Sunday, May 1, 2011

Spelling Woes

Some people are natural spellers. I am one of those people so I really have trouble relating to those who can't spell. I actually cringe when I see obvious spelling errors in adult writing/typing. My sweet girls are opposites. Big Mac really has a hard time while Chickie spells everything I throw at her so well that she is currently spelling on a 4th grade level at age 7. What do you do for an older student who has these issues?
First I got the eyes checked. Fine. So I started to look at overall academic work. Seems to be all about par except for reading and spelling. The former is a result of simply being a reluctant reader, but I did notice that she often guesses at words prematurely. Now what?
Off to consult with a real authority, Susan Wise Bauer. One of her audio lectures discusses this problem of reading and spelling that shows up at about 4th grade. Voila! I think this may be it.
Here is the solution I came up with using her suggestions. I took Phonics Pathways, which is a reading program, and looked through the rules that it taught. Wasn't I shocked to find that it actually had a section in the back called, "Spelling Strategies". The instructions are straight forward and easy to follow. This week she copied the rules for C, K, and -ck usage in words, copied several words and wrote them 3 times, had a few small tests with words from these categories and did well. It outlines how to set up your notebook and what to do each step of the way. I can't comment on how well it works as of yet, but will be more opinionated in about 2 months or so I'm sure. You can find the book on Amazon and it retails for $29.99, but they often have discounts on books.

No comments:

Post a Comment