Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Reviewing the why of it all....

Recent events have me reconsidering the "why" behind the decision to homeschool. I used to think that it was superior education. While I still believe I can give my kids a more tailored and generally better education, I no longer feel this is the driving force. I want them with me; with the family. Time is flying and soon I will have one graduating.
That terrifies me. I feel like I have missed out on so much because he spends all of his time away from the family and at school. I wish I could take back those days. Soccer Star and Mini Monster get along so well and I am afraid that he will flee the nest and lose connection with the littlest. What I really love about homeschooling the youngers is that they learn to live and communicate better with their siblings. I don't have that. I don't even speak to one of my brothers and rarely see the other. We have nothing in common. So much for the great socialization that public provided. I learned to disconnect from my siblings and my family is what I learned. I barely remember being at home once I could drive! I want more for my kids. I want them to be friends and have more than what I have with my siblings.
Another change in thinking is that I really don't value or put much stock in the overwhelming pursuit of a 4 year school. WASTE of money for the most part. So much can be done at CC for a fraction of the price.
That said, I do have 2 in public school and hate it every day they walk out the door. My greatest wish would be that they came home and spent their days with us, lunches outside in the sun, and impromptu field trips to fun places. I just miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment